5 Everyday Toxins Lurking In Your Home

Our team is delighted to help commemorate National Animal Poison Prevention Week, which will be held from the 19th – 25th of March. As part of our commitment, we would like to provide information about some everyday household items that are dangerous for your pets.

#1: Medications

For inquisitive and food-motivated pets, ingesting medications can be a fatal mistake. From snatched up heartworm preventives to prescription drugs left unattended on the countertop or in guests’ luggage – accidental overdoses are all too common for our beloved animals. If you suspect your pet has gotten into medication, don’t wait another moment – call an animal poison control hotline directly!

#2: Food

Not only is your kitchen a paradise full of delicious treats for your pet, but those same tasty delights can also result in hazardous illnesses. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados (just to name a few) are all toxic foods that could lead to deadly consequences varying from alcohol poisoning and kidney failure to seizures and hypoglycemia. So make sure you keep an eye on Fido while cooking up dinner – or invest in a secure trashcan cover!

#3: Household chemicals

Protect your four-legged friends from any danger by making sure you always store the following common household chemicals safely:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

If your pet is curious enough to taste the foliage, many houseplants can be poisonous and even deadly. Lilies are especially hazardous to cats—even contact with the pollen can cause severe poisoning or death. Common indoor plants like dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants should also be avoided when you have pets in the home. Don’t forget outdoor greenery like ivy and oleander; they too can pose a threat if ingested by an animal companion! Before purchasing new flowers or adding any green elements to your garden, it’s always best practice to consult ASPCA’s comprehensive toxic plant list for peace of mind that you’re keeping your furry friends safe from harm.

#5: Batteries and coins

If your pet ingests coins or batteries, they can be severely poisoned. Not only that, but if the battery is chewed and punctured it can lead to chemical burns. Perhaps even more worrisome is that if swallowed whole an intact battery may create a blockage in their gastrointestinal system.

If you suspect your furry friend has come into contact with a hazardous substance, reach out to our expert team as soon as possible.