Five Guidelines for Ensuring Your Pet’s Safety During Swimming
As the summer heat rises, you and your furry companion may seek relief by taking a dip in the water. However, not all pets are natural swimmers, so it’s crucial to take necessary precautions. Here are five tips to ensure your pet’s safety while enjoying a swim:
1. Offer Fresh Water: Before and after swimming, make sure your pet has access to clean, fresh water. This helps prevent them from drinking potentially harmful chemicals or contaminated water found in pools or other bodies of water.
2. Use a Life Vest: If your pet will be in deep water, equip them with a well-fitted life vest. Relying solely on their swimming abilities can be risky, so allow your pet time to adjust to wearing the vest before entering the water.
3. Supervise Constantly: Never leave your pet unattended while they are in the water. Animals can panic and get into dangerous situations, so always keep a watchful eye on them to ensure their safety.
4. Teach Pool Exit: It’s essential to familiarize your pet with how to exit the pool. In your absence, they may accidentally fall into the water and struggle to get out. Provide a stable set of stairs or a designated exit point that your pet can use, and train them on how to use it.
5. Rinse After Swimming: After your pet takes a swim in a pool or lake, thoroughly rinse their fur. This helps remove any chemicals, pathogens, dirt, or debris that may have accumulated. By preventing them from grooming these substances off their body, you can maintain their overall well-being.
Water-related accidents can happen, especially if your pet attempts to drink from the water without knowing how to swim. If your pet encounters a water-related emergency this summer, do not hesitate to contact our team for assistance.